Night sweats during menses is a common occurrence. However, experiencing night sweats during your period for the first time can be quite frustrating.
Night sweats is basically excessive sweating at night. They usually associated with menopause but the truth is it can affect any woman who is in the prime time of her reproductive years.
Effective management is vital in mastering how to cope with night sweats. Majorly because it can get pretty agonizing when you constantly have to wake up in the middle of the night due to sleep disruption and overly soaked sheets. Nobody wants that ladies, right? The mere thought of having to wake up at night all drenched up in sweat can be quite cumbersome and even embarrassing.
In order to effectively manage the night sweats during menses, it is important to conduct a personal assessment to determine the potential internal and external causes.
Night sweats also scientifically known as nocturnal hyperhidrosis is commonly associated with hormonal fluctuations in the body as noted in New Health Advisor.
1. Hormonal imbalances
Body heat regulation is managed by a portion of the brain referred to as the hypothalamus. Night sweats usually result from a malfunction of the hypothalamus. During periods or menstruation, the rate of hormonal fluctuations in the body elevates. This causes the hypothalamus to detect inaccurate temperature levels, which causes vessels to dilate and release heat. This process hence leads to flushes and perspirations which affect sleeping patterns.
Other causes of night sweats according to New Health Advisor include anxiety, diabetes, thyroid disorders, sleep apnea, cancer and neurological conditions.
Perimenopause is basically the period when your body starts to naturally transform into the menopause stage, denoting the end of reproductive years according to Mayo Clinic. The approximate age where perimenopause kicks in is between 40-50 years and in some cases, it can occur 10 years before the actual menopause as noted in New Health Advisor.
Symptoms of perimenopause according to Web Md include;
- Vaginal dryness due changes due to in hormones.
- Uterine bleeding problems due to the decrease in progesterone which causes thickening of the uterine wall leading to heavy menses.
- Mood swings such as depression due to hormonal fluctuations.
- Sleep disturbances due to night sweats.
- Period irregularities
- Reduced sex drive
Relief for night sweats during periods
Night sweats during periods can be quite disruptive both physically and emotionally. sleep disruption can lead to insomnia, irritability, poor memory and performance.
However, there are numerous solutions to cope with according to New Health Advisor which include:
- Change nutritional choices: a balanced diet is very essential in curbing night sweats. A diet composed of Fats, vegetables, lean protein and is rich in anti-oxidants ensure hormonal regulation and minimize the occurrences of night sweats.
- Exercising regularly additionally goes a long way to decrease night sweats during periods. Exercise equips the body with the agility to regulate its own temperature. However, it is advisable to exercise early in the morning rather than anywhere from two hours to bed.
- Wearing light and loose-fitting pajamas: wearing pajamas made of linen and cotton allows for a more effective release of heat.
- Drinking plenty of water hydrates and nourishes the body thus enabling the body to regulate its own body temperature.
- Lifestyle changes also play an integral part in minimizing night sweats during periods. Avoiding caffeine, spicy foods, excessive intake of alcohol, stress and any triggers can make immense changes health wise.
- Alternative medication such as a diversity of therapies for instance massages, aromatherapy, yoga and herbal supplements targeted at alleviating hormonal imbalance can reduce night sweats during periods.
- Relief methods of night sweats during periods is relative and dependent on individuals and other underlying factors.
- Other relief and preventive measures include keeping a track of the potential triggers of night sweats, the time they occur, emotional state, food or beverage taken before sleeping and the sleeping conditions.
It is always advisable to seek a medical opinion from your physician if the severity and duration of the night sweats during periods persists.
- New Health Advisor: http://www.newhealthadvisor.com/Night-Sweats-During-Period.html
- MayoClinic: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/perimenopause/home/ovc-20253772
- Web MD: http://www.webmd.com/menopause/guide/guide-perimenopause#1