Losing weight after 40 is a complex task but not impossible at all. The biggest challenge is that the body has changed without you noticing; it no longer burns calories like it used to do when you were in your twenties and as a result you have added some pesky pounds.
Hormonal changes especially for women in their forties; menopause lowers the rate of metabolism coupled with lifestyle means that most people are always plump in their forties.
But worry not, here are some weight management techniques that will help you shed the calories that you have accumulated over the years in your forties.
Check your diet and consider weight loss meals
- Increase your protein intake- Consuming more proteins will stimulate the body to burn the calories that you have accumulated to produce energy. This will directly reduce your weight. Studies have shown that fat loss is approximately twice as much in the high protein diet than in a low one. You need more.
- Consume less added sugar and processed foods- Sugar is harmful to your body. It overworks the pancreas. The pancreas is the organ that is responsible for producing insulin in your body. You want to lose weight in your forties then don’t overwork your pancreas
- Eat more fruits and vegetables- Vegetables have more water but a low energy density. They will fill your stomach without adding more calories. Spinach, swiss chards and collard greens are also very rich in magnesium which will protect your bones in as you try to lose weight
- Take more caffeine- Studies have shown that taking more coffee leads to an increased energy expenditure and subsequent weight loss.
- Use a smaller plate- Eating less food more frequently leads to consumption of fewer calories
- Consume more dairy products- a high dairy diet decreases more body fat. Dairy products are rich in calcium. A high amount of calcium intake increases the amount of energy and fats excreted from the body therefore leading to weight loss. Dairy products are among the best diets for women who want to lose weight after 40.
- Green tea is healthy- You may be allergic to coffee, then take a mug of green tea, also known as weight loss tea more often. Green tea has been shown energy expenditure fat oxidation in humans. Taking green tea is an effective way to lose weight after 40.
- Avoid the wine- Life is smiling at you in your forties because you worked hard as a youth. You probably have a few coins to throw a big bash, you got some time attend those affluent dinner parties where expensive wines are served. I have no problem with that but your body does. Wine is very rich in calories. We all know that accumulating the calories is easy but losing them will be a struggle. Avoid the wine especially if you want to cut your weight.
- You should avoid red meat, oils and oil containing products if you a serious about losing those pounds in your forties.
- Take early meals before bed- Early digestion will give you ample time to sleep. Sleep is a very important recipe for weight loss after 40.
- Take cold and iced snacks- The body will use more energy to warm when you take cold drinks, this will be reflected in your body shape because you will lose some significant amounts of calories.
- Stay hydrated- All body cells need water to operate optimally. Staying hydrated helps boost your metabolism rates. A study at the University of Utah found out that the body burns 2% less calories when dehydrated than when hydrated. Drinking plenty of water is enough weight loss meal.
- Do not skip meals- It can be tempting to skip a meal when you are trying to lose weight but this may achieve the opposite of your intended outcome. Dr. Tannberg says that, ‘when hungry, your body stops burning calories because it’s trying to conserve everything you have.’
Hit the gym
You are probably overweight because of being too inactive or dormant. In your forties, your body may want you to go slow on exercises but the reality is you should push it more if you want to lose weight. The more you exercise, the more fats you burn. Here are some of the exercises you should consider;
- Walk to work- Yes, I know you drive a state of the art Range but walking is not a downgrade. It may grant you a couple more years to enjoy the good life. I am not saying you do this daily; 1 day per week is ok.
- Take the stairs- Walking to work may be inconvenient for some people but what about avoiding the elevator? Take the stairs to Floor number seven, it’s one of the best fat burners out there for men who want to lose weight after 40.
- More aerobic exercises- Aerobic exercises is the best weight loss program for women after they hit their forties. Make use of the cardio machines available at the gym.
- Lift the weights too- You naturally loss muscles when you get older, the only way to get it back is to hit build it up. Eating a balanced diet plus good work outs will help you remain fit even after losing weight.
- Consider buying a bicycle- Bikes are not only enjoyable, but also good for your health.
Have adequate sleep
Most people have trouble sleeping in their 40s due to hot flashes and night sweats for women and other multiple physical issues for men. Work is also a very big reason why most people do not get enough sleep.
But research has shown that lack of sleep is directly connected to weight gain because leptin and ghrelin hormones that control hunger. Sleep deprived people tend to crave for energy foods which are mostly sugary. This will lead to automatic weight gain.
Other studies have also shown that our bodies are most metabolically active while we sleep, so the longer we sleep the more our calories burn because they work for a longer time at optimum conditions.
Enough sleep is an amazing way of losing weight after forty. Yoga, massages and meditation can help you relax and sleep better.
Set time for sex
Having sex may seem like a basic to many couples but I know of spouses who rarely get kinky between the sheets. There are many advantages of having sex especially in your forties and some of them will lead to weight loss.
Apart from burning calories, good sex also relaxes the body and soothes you to sleep. The more sleep you get, the more weight you loss.
It’s that simple.
Seek the services of weight watchers
Weight watchers is a company that offers various products and services to assist weight loss and maintenance by calorie restricting method. Their food guide promotes food choices that not only reduce calories but also meet nutritional recommendation.
It’s a professional way of losing weight in your forties. They also offer support and encouragement to their clients through weekly meetings. They can be quite expensive.
Try weight loss pills and other weight loss products
Technological advancement and research have brought about weight loss supplements and pills. These diet pills offer many benefits as compares to dietary changes or exercises. The pills mainly suppress your appetite and cravings for certain foods.
Weight loss supplements is another option for people who want to lose weight in their 40s. The best weight loss supplements should have minimal side effects.
Seek medical assistance from your doctor before purchasing weight loss products.